Friday, September 20, 2013

I am back to the blogo-sphere, with a bang and change!

They say that third time's the charm. Hopefully I will continue to maintain this blog and not delete it.

I have posted all the post's that I have saved from my previous blog (It's not a lot I know). Going through my old posts made me realize the change in my writing style!! In my old posts, I shortened the words (special was spl, friends was frens-- well you get the idea). I realized this was due to my excessive SMS-ing back then and in order to keep the messages short , I shortened the words. This became a habit and was carried on to my blogs as well. It also seems that I did not care about punctuation. I also stared in horror at the blatant grammatical mistakes, incorrect spellings and hopeless formatting. I did manage to edit a couple of posts before I got annoyed. It felt like I was re-writing the whole thing from scratch and I gave up. I suppose the unedited posts will remain as a vestige of my formative years. 

The other day I was annoyed with a cousin of mine because she shortened the words while chatting with me on Gmail. Right now I feel like a hypocrite. Sorry my dear cousin. 

I no longer shorten my words and try very hard to articulate my sentences in a grammatically correct manner.  I have also become anal about formatting, spellings and punctuation.  Of course I tend to slip into my old habits when chatting on Gmail. Its probably because I just type and not read my content before I hit send. Thank you very much fast paced chatting! You are indeed very instrumental in the ruin of my once impeccable English.  (I had the highest grade in English, wrote various articles for the school magazine and won numerous prizes in debating and extempore competitions.)  Sigh! 

P.S. I am not sure what brought about this change in me. I guess its the after effects of having worked for over two years with a professor, at USC, who happens to be a brilliant writer and orator. (God bless him for that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment