Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Day 3: A day in paradise- Hallstatt, Austria

My euro trip was whacky so to speak. I wanted this trip to be an amalgamation of various experiences- a day in the place of my childhood dreams, a day in the alps, a day in a small non-touristy city and so on.

Hallstatt was voted as one of the best small towns in Europe, by traveler's choice. As I did more research on this town I found out that it had the oldest salt mine in the world. So I decided that I had to visit this place- plus the pictures looked gorgeous. Truth be told, the pictures I saw online did injustice to the breathtaking beauty of the place.

Nestled on the banks of Lake Hallstatt, the town of Hallstatt was famous for its salt mines. It has the typical feel of a small town, lots of cafes, rustic buildings, a small cathedral with a bell tower, which chimed every hour and the blooming flowers- harbingers of the upcoming summer.

The salt mine tour was mind blowing- I got to explore a 7000 year old mine. To reach the mine, I had to take a funicular up the mountain and I was treated to breathtaking views of the town below. The tour included a ride down a 64 ft wooden slide (it was awesome), laser shows inside the salt mine caverns and a train ride in a long tunnel. The train ride alone made the whole trip worthwhile! I was given a small salt bottle mined in those caves at the end of the tour

After the tour, I walked to a Viewing platform nestled atop Mount Salzberg, which gives a panoramic views of the city and Lake Halstatt.


The funicular to the top of the salt mine.



The caves inside the salt mine.


The wooden slide.


Salt crystals on display


The laser show inside the caverns.


Moi on the viewing platform


The view of the town from the viewing platform on Mt. Salzberg


View of the Lake Hallstatt from the funicular


I spent the afternoon, walking around town. It is extremely pretty. I spent some time sitting by the lake and reading a book. The weather seemed to have its own mind. It would rain heavily all of sudden. It seemed like the rain gods had a personal vendetta on me. Whenever I stepped out it started raining. I was wet and miserable but thankfully I found a cafe which had vegetarian options. I had some warm food and hot chocolate and was treated to some spectacular views of the lake. I was extremely happy to have found some vegetarian food in this small town. 

I did not want to leave. With a heavy heart I drove back to Salzburg to attend a formal dinner concert in a 1200 year old restaurant.


The view of the town from the south side


The restaurant by the lake Gastof Simony- Ate delicious pesto pasta, garlic bread and topped it off with hot chocolate.




View of the town from the north side.

No comments:

Post a Comment